Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Albertus Magnus College

Albertus Magnus College was founded in 1925 by the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs. The dedication speaker was James Rowland Angell, the president of nearby Yale University. All classes and offices were first housed in Rosary Hall, a Palladian-style mansion that has since been converted for use as the institution's main library. The college's first chaplain, Rev. Arthur Chandler, stated that the college's initial goal was to educate women "to become thinkers and leaders and the noble among the ladyhood of the future.
By 1940 the campus had expanded to its current 50 acre size and absorbed a variety of surrounding gilded-era mansions for use as dormitories and office space. The school became known for its strict liberal arts curriculum that required four years of Latin or Greek study.
Originally a women's college, the institution became coeducational in 1985 to some controversy. The 1980s also brought a series of construction projects to the campus, including new classroom space and a new athletic center. The first graduate program, a Master of Arts in Liberal Studies, was offered in 1992.

In addition to undergraduate majors, minors and concentrations, including pre-professional preparation, there are graduate programs in art therapy, leadership, liberal studies, fine arts in creative writing, human services, business administration, education, and management and organizational leadership.

The main campus is located about two miles (3 km) from the central campus of Yale University in a residential area known as Prospect Hill near the border with Hamden. The neighborhood is on Prospect Street just above Edgerton Park and near East Rock.
The college uses several of the area's historic 19th century mansions as residence halls and administrative buildings.

Related Posts:

0 comments:

Post a Comment